The trail goes through the site of the Trout sawmill where
evidence of the old stone foundation and an earthen dam
can be seen.
This picture of the mill cabin was sketched by John Muir
the noted U.S. naturalist who worked with the Trouts at the
mill for a couple of years in the 1860's. After about 10 years
in operation, the mill was destroyed by a fire in 1866.
Somewhere nearby, the Pleasant Valley grist mill was
later built, harnessing the water power from the river.
The trail passes by the ruins of a hydro generating system, owned
and operated by the Georgian Bay Milling and Power Cormpany
from 1904 until the late 1920's. During that time, it supplied electric
power to the town of Meaford.
GBMP was owned by the Moore family who also operated a
grist mill where you can see the ruins today at the Bakeshop bridge.
The ruins of the powerhouse, the settling basin and the Moore Dam
are all evidence of this old enterprise.
MOORE DAM RUINS TODAY